The Nurses Organization of Veterans Affairs (NOVA) is the professional organization for nurses employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Our members are the frontline faces who provide the best care for Veterans. The following legislative priority goals identify several areas we feel need attention to continue providing the best care for our Nation’s Veterans.
- Ensure an adequate budget that provides critical funding so that all VISNs and Medical Facilities can provide care and services to its population.
- Optimize all VA resources to affect and achieve value in models of care.
- Support appropriate funding of Community Care Accounts.
Access /Community Care Network:
- Maximize Veteran access to care through effective use of technology, efficient clinical practice and role enhancement for all nursing personnel.
- Monitor implementation of VA Mission/Community Care Network.
- Require that training, competency and quality standards for Community Care Network providers are equal to those of VHA providers.
- Implement a care coordination system allowing Veterans to return with ease back to the VA when resources are available.
- Ensure staffing levels that affect community care referrals and coordination are met.
- Continue providing ongoing training for VHA personnel and all community providers to improve the coordination of care, understanding of military culture and health care needs across networks.
Staffing/Recruitment and Retention:
- Recruit and retain a highly qualified nursing workforce with a budget to support modern staffing models.
- Offer opportunity for career advancement/growth for all levels of nursing within the VA to retain a highly qualified nursing workforce.
- Ensure HR has essential staff in order to review and streamline policies and procedures to improve the efficiency and speed of the hiring process.
- Mandate training for HR personnel on use of Locality Pay, and congressional authorizations to improve entire hiring process.
- Monitor HR Centralization at the VISN level.
- Increase Salary Caps and support competitive wages for ALL levels of Nursing.